The United Nations Foundation was created in 1998 as a US charity by entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner. The Foundation uses innovative campaigns and transformative public-private partnerships to connect people, ideas, and resources to help the UN solve global problems, and it broadens support for the United Nations through advocacy and public outreach. The Foundation is driven by the belief that a better world is within reach - and that everyone has a role to play in helping the UN make this vision possible.
Data2X, an alliance housed at the United Nations Foundation, is a collaborative technical and advocacy platform dedicated to improving the quality, availability, and use of gender data to make a practical difference in the lives of women and girls worldwide. Data2X works with UN agencies, governments, civil society, academics, and the private sector to close gender data gaps, promote expanded and unbiased gender data collection, and use gender data to improve policies, strategies, and decision-making.
The Grants and Finance Officer supports the Data2X team through financial management, grant reporting, and strategic analysis of projects and operations for the Executive and Deputy Directors. The Officer also works closely with the entire Data2X team, the UN Foundation’s Business Services, Business Reporting, and Finance departments to execute all finance, operations, contract, and grant activities.
Financial & Operational Management:
• Manage Data2X budget including activity- and results-based budgeting, strategic reviews, quarterly and annual business planning; prepare updates and revisions for the Executive Director as needed.
• Manage donor proposal and reporting processes.
• Work with the Data2X team to research new funding opportunities and help develop proposals, including liaising with the UN Foundation’s Finance, Business Services, Strategic Planning & Implementation, and Finance departments to provide appropriate programmatic and financial information for proposals.
• Develop and implement new strategies to increase work-flow and operationalize business services.
• Develop high-level funding briefs and other project briefing documents for senior leadership as needed.
• Ensure correct allocations of revenues and expenses across donor budgets.
• Provide monitoring and evaluation support and tracking of programmatic and financial targets.
• Investigate and resolve issues associated with program and grant implementation.
• Complete other special projects and duties as assigned.
Grants, Contracts & Compliance:
• Draft contractual agreements from existing templates; this includes but is not limited to consultant contracts, letters of intent, and grant agreements.
• Liaise with donors, vendors, consultants and grantees to process agreements and reports in a timely manner.
• Develop and maintain a grants reporting calendar and matrix for the team.
• Ensure adherence with and compliance to all UN Foundation policies and donor rules and regulations.
• Maintain appropriate file documentation for all work products for programmatic ‘historical memory’.
• Ensure timely and accurate responses to any audit requests on behalf of Data2X.
• Serve as internal liaison with the UN Foundation’s Finance, Business Services, HR, Finance, Strategic Planning and Implementation, and other departments to ensure compliance with UN Foundation rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
• Ensure excellent customer service by providing timely and accurate information to Data2X, UN Foundation, and external stakeholders as needed.
• Ability to provide high-level strategic analysis of projects and best practice recommendations to drive Data2X’s strategic goals and ensure financial sustainability.
• Bachelor's degree plus 5-6 years of experience; Master’s degree a plus.
• Experience managing complex budgets and completing detailed narrative and financial reporting to donors.
• Excellent operations, project management, organizational, budgeting, and logistical abilities.
• Experience developing various agreement types (contracts, grants, contributions, MOUs).
• Experience working in a grants coordination or administrative capacity is an asset.
• Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, work well under pressure and prioritize multiple, competing priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team and with other colleagues across teams in an efficient, coordinated and flexible manner.
• Ability to drive projects from inception to completion and work independently as needed.
• Continuous learning skills and the ability to synthesize information.
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Demonstrated interest in managing administrative tasks.
• Knowledge of the United Nations system and interest in International Development, International Affairs and/or the non-profit sector.
• Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
• Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
The United Nations Foundation offers an excellent range of benefits for full-time employees including: a choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP). dental insurance, vision discounts, life insurance, supplemental life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, long-term care insurance, health club discounts, commuter benefits, employee assistance program and Warby Parker discounts.
12 Paid holidays, 4 weeks of vacation, 10 sick days, 3 personal days and 8 weeks of parental leave (mother or father). Access to the UNFCU Credit Union, 150% match on our 403b retirement plan, Flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts and discounted Zipcar membership.